Thursday, March 31, 2011

Practice: 3/19/11




Well... Festival's over, and I haven't gotten new musics, so aside from the occasional Jazz work, I don't really feel too motivated to go out and find some ridiculously complex piece to play... or doing things by ear (I've got Rocky Balboa down...). So, in these times, I hopefully await for the next class in which we may possibly get some piece, be it good or bad. I'm not really sure.

So, for today's 1/2 an hour~ish I decided it's time to pull out the ol' Rubank book and work on some scales... as exciting as that is.

Obviously, I work my way through all the flat scales-adding flats as I go Bb-Eb-Ab-Db-Gb-and so forth... until you have seven flats. I've also discovered that when playing scales, any note I play in first tends to be sharp or flat (more on the flat side as of today), so I try to avoid using first for the sake of tuning. It's an interesting result, as in doing so, I realize the over-reliance on muscle memory for scales--which is not good? I'm not really sure

After going through all the flat-major scales (I'm not feeling too sharp today). I also took a look at my minor scales. I just played melodic scales because that's what I'm used to. Tone's still flat. Also, I realized I need to work on lip-slurs more. they're a pretty good warm-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment