Thursday, March 31, 2011

Practice: 3/9/11



Did I ever mention that I think Chameleon's are cool?

***

Well, the way things are, I'm not making it to Band Festival. So, I will opt to practice the other mucic I have (and will likely never master): Jazz. Well, Jazz and things associated with Jazz Band. So, today's focus is of course Chameleon.

So, today's focus is the first page because you have to finish the first to get to the second. At first I had an issue grasping the tempo (because when you see sixteenth notes, usually the word "fast" is associated w/ it) but, it's not terribly fast once you get a grip on it. So the main difference between 1st and second part is that the first part gets to play at the beginning section of the song. This means I have to not mess up. Parts like measure 12, or that recurring phrase at measure 19 tend to mess me up since... well, I don't usually play the sixteenths in strings of more than 2 (and even then usually it's just repeating). But 12 is pretty easy once the tongue-work in down.

19 was the first issue of today, but once you remember that you're playing that w/ the rest of the band, it's not AS bad. The issue it that there's no rest or break, so I have to take it all straight, and while fairly scalar as far as the movement goes ( in a "U" shape pretty much), it's a tad harder for me than I thought. But after doing it... over and over... I got it... sorta. (can't miss that staccato)

The Last thing is that section that starts at measure 34. where I just feel like I'm playing a bass line (and pretty much am). Here's where I start to feel some FUNK. It actually looks a lot harder than it is, but I have an issue in that... well I need to avoid going into Auto-pilot... because well, that's not good, since it just repeats... that means I have to make it consistent...

But as for today, page one: 48% done (basics)




No comments:

Post a Comment