Thursday, March 31, 2011

Practice: 3/25/11



Still... no new music... so today let's talk about Cheesecake....

Like with Chameleon, I'm having some tempo issues. I don't feel like I'm locking with the rest of the band, but there's not actual reading this time... so I figure that'll come with time. So technique wise, this one doesn't feel as intimidating as Chameleon... so today I think I went through it. Instead of recapping the technical trials and tribulations, I'll go over my stylistic practice. So, from the outset, we have swing. So It's swing.

Dexter Gordon's original Cheesecake has far more "class" than this big band arrangement. That's not necessarily a good thing though. It's slower... This Big Band version feels far more... Showy? As though you could have it on broadway as opposed to having it in a club. Of course so in today's case it just means I have to figure out where I swing and where I bring in and out the dynamic level because every instrument needs their time to shine. Measures 11-21 are pretty important to bring out, whereas the fist eight are primarily there to help the trumpets. That's just my interpretation. So I'll just keep going from there...

No comments:

Post a Comment